|The Black Dog at Waltham Chase in 2015|
This post is about the Titheridges of Waltham Chase Hampshire and a description of how Christmas was spent 90 years. These are some reminiscences from Val Grevitt, son of Hilda Grace Titheridge. Val was born in 1916 so this account of Christmas is probably about 1927.
“My mother, whose maiden name was Titheridge, was one of 14 children, of whom only one died; Titheridge was a common name in the area. My grandfather Titheridge was a market gardener. My grandfather had also been the licensee of the Black Dog Inn at Waltham Chase before I was born (probably between 1884 and 1899). Every Christmas the Titheridge clan gathered at this hostelry and much boozing and singing took place, whilst we children stuffed ourselves with fruit and nuts and ginger pop in an unlicensed room made available to us by the publican.”
This family gathering must have been of some size. Val's grandparents were Noah John Titheridge and his wife Amelia Gardener. They had 14 children 13 of whom reached adulthood and all except one married. There were 14 grandchildren with the Titheridge surname and 18 grandchildren with other surnames. What a large family gathering that must have been 27 adults plus children! – No wonder they met at the pub!
Noah John Titheridge (1858 -1929) was born in Swanmore By Droxford, Hampshire. He married Amelia Gardener (1859-1940) in 1878 in Swanmore. Noah and Amelia had the following 14 children all born in Shedfield, There were 9 girls and 5 boys. Only 3 of the boys had children to carry on the family name. These are Noah's family:
- Alice Jane Titheridge was born in December 1878. She married Charles John Edwards in December1898
- Edith Florence Titheridge was born in Sep 1880. She married Frank Earwaker in December 1899
- William Edward Titheridge was born in Mar 1883. He married Beatrice Elizabeth Daysh in September 1909. They had two boys and a girl
- Walter Charles Titheridge was born in December 1884. He married Annie Elizabeth Pymer in December 1906 and then Annie E E Palk in March 1944. There was one son who died as a baby from the first marriage and one son from the second marriage.
- Noah John Titheridge was born in December 1886. He married Annie Louise Ferris in December 1913. They had seven boys and a girl
- Frederick George Titheridge was born in December 1888 he remained a batchelor
- Mabel Leah Titheridge was born in March 1890. She married Henry Charles Blake in September 1918.
- Elsie Olive Titheridge was born on 30 Sep 1892. She married William H K Glasspool in June 1913
- Reginald Hubert Titheridge was born 1894 and died 1894
- Hilda Grace Titheridge was born on 10 April 1895. She married Albert Grevitt on 28 February 1914 in Shedfield, Hampshire.
- Lottie Ivy Titheridge was born on 4 January 1897. She married Thomas Kynaston in June 1920 in Droxford, Hampshire.
- Freda Flossie Titheridge was born in Dec 1898 She married George Greenaway in March 1919 in Droxford, Hampshire.
- Audrey Dora Titheridge was born in Jun 1900. She married George Harry Titheridge in March 1919. They had one son
- Dorothy Gladys Titheridge was born on 02 February 1902. She married Cecil John Vear in December1921
|Annie Louise wife of Noah John Titheridge|
|Noah John Titheridge|
|William Edward Titheridge|
|Beatrice Elizabeth Titheridge|
|Dorothy Gladys Vear (nee Titheridge)|